Thursday, December 10, 2009

Lavishing Love in Thailand By Nathan Albert

Our bags our packed, we're finished with finals, we're ready. Correction: our bags aren't packed, most of us aren't finished with finals, and we're almost ready.

We do leave for Thailand in less than a day, but last minute details are keeping us busy. Finals are being completed, and once they are stress levels will decrease. We will pack sometime tonight, or in the wee hours of the morning. But we are excited and are looking forward to what God will do while in Thailand.

As a look back over the last couple years, I am so humbled that this will be my third visit to Thailand in less than two years. I advised a trip in May of '08, went with North Park Seminary in Jan '09, and am now helping lead another trip. Who would have thought that God would want me to experience Thailand three times?

On my first trip, as I was leaving the slums of Bangkok, through tears I prayed for God to bring me back to those streets. Nine months later I had that opportunity. Again in January, I prayed that God would bring me back and perhaps bring people to share in what I find so incredible about Thai people. And again, here I go.

So tomorrow we venture off to the Land of Smiles. We venture to a country that is 95% Buddhist, roughly 1% Christian. We venture as strangers into a land where we will be welcomed as family. We will venture into the slums of Bangkok and a small village in Northern Thailand to live with families who will take us in as their own.

Our team goal has been to Lavish Love. Because God has lavished love on us, we as a team are lavishing love on each other so that we can lavish love on the Thai people.

Pray that God allows us to do that.

No comments: