Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A few words about Zambia...

Mulishani!



My name is Nilwona Nowlin, & I'm the advisor for the Summer 2010 Zambia team. I had the privilege of serving as a trip participant last year and never would have imagined that I'd get to do it again so soon! I'm a full-time staff member at North Park (Resident Director), but many people don't realize that I'm also a writer. So blogging is right up my alley. Today, I wanted to share something that I posted on Facebook a few weeks ago. I hope it encourages you!:

---

While shopping with a friend today, I made a joke that he responded to with, "They don't need faith because they've got money."



I jokingly responded that this was the problem with the world today - that we don't feel like we have to trust God because we have money.



Even though it started out as a joke, it stuck in the back of my mind all day. Then, this evening, while reading the New Testament reading for the One Year Bible, I was reminded of the conversation. The passage from Matthew (Matt. 21:22) talks about how if we pray in faith, we will receive. And I couldn't help thinking that many Christians - especially in the Western world - don't really rely on faith like we should because we can always find someone with money...then I thought about my friends from Hope Ministries in Zambia. And I remembered how they told us during a church service last year about how they believed God to meet their needs - even when they had no reason to believe that it could happen because they didn't even know where the resources would come from.



That's true faith. Taking a step when you don't even see the staircase. How many of us can honestly say that we have that kind of faith? I know I want it!

No comments: